December 16, 2019
FROM THE DESK OF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Dear Brooklyn North,
I am excited for the toy drive on Friday. Please bring in an unwrapped toy as soon as possible. Donations are very low so far and we are hoping to collect over 100 gifts. If you are available on Friday, December 20th, we will gather as a BCO family in Room 610 at 9:00am. I am pleased to announce that a holiday breakfast will be provided. Also, I see the Budget and HR team is the first to begin decorating their door – thank you! Please display your creativity and holiday spirit and decorate your office door as soon as possible. Don't forget to wear your ugly sweater. I can't wait to see you all there as we celebrate this special time of the year. Because of you, many many children across Brooklyn North will have a gift to open.
As we make a final push towards completing CEPs, Superintendents, please be sure you are monitoring principals and ensuring that appropriate feedback is included in the revisions. Kindly remind our principals to review their budgets and schedule all unscheduled funds. Also remind them of the great ILF and CRSE materials that are available through Scholastic. They presented the new Rising Voices collection for grades K-5 at our Principals Kick-Off in October. Our Scholastic consultants are readily available to assist any school that reaches out.
Supportive staff, as you continue to work with our schools, you are reminded to create clear and precise plans outlying the work you are engaging in. This is the time we should be working collaboratively with our school leaders and their ILTs to ensure that the hallmarks are embedded throughout the work. Daily instruction must be reflective of engaging texts, rich discussion, daily writing, and high-utility vocabulary words. These have and should continue to be a part of our best practices.
Please see attached for a listing of upcoming events and important dates.
12/17—December Principal meetings
12/18—Inclusive Education Student Summit
12/20—Brooklyn North Toy Drive Wrapping Party
12/23-1/1-NYC Winter Recess
1/7/20—Brooklyn North Leadership meeting, District team meetings, and Committee meetings
1/9/20—I WILL GRADUATE DAY 2020
2/14/20—Last day to complete the Sexual Harassment Training
2. Please find the High School Science opportunities here.
3. Please find the latest news from the Cahn Fellows here.
4. As was shared in Principals Weekly, please register for the Inclusive Education Student Summit on December 18. The summit brings together students with and without disabilities, and provides them with the tools needed to engage in "Charting the Course for Inclusive Schools with the Power of Language," this year’s conference theme. Students will engage in conversations and activities around accessibility, diversity, and inclusion, and return to their schools as advocates for inclusion. For more information or to register for the summit, see this website. For specific questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Please see here to learn more about the high school internship program offered through the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office. To apply, please visit: http://apply.brooklynda.org to upload transcript, essay and resume. Only the recommendation letter should be emailed as an attachment to the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office at email@example.com, with the subject line: Recommendation Letter (Applicant’s First and Last Name). All application materials must be received no later than December 22, 2019. For questions or assistance please contact (718) 250-3191.
6. The Executive Leadership Institute (ELI) is now accepting applications for the Advanced Leadership Program for Aspiring Principals (ALPAP) for the 2020-21 academic year. ALPAP is an advanced leadership preparatory program for Administrators who are interested in innovative professional learning which focuses on the advanced leadership skills needed to serve as an effective Principal. Upon completion of the program, you will receive 75 hours from ELI an approved Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) sponsor. These hours may be applied towards New York State certification requirements for professional development.
Please find (01) additional information regarding the program, (02) a worksheet with the long answer questions from the application, (03) a signature page that must be submitted separately to complete the application, and (04) the complete Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (PSEL) for use in completing the long answer questions. The application must be completed online. Unfortunately, you cannot save an incomplete application online. Therefore, for your convenience, we have attached a worksheet (02) that will assist you in preparing your responses to the long answer questions before beginning the online application. The full application can be found and completed at http://tinyurl.com/alpapapplication. After reading the documents, if you have any questions, please contact the ALPAP Coordinator Shirley H. Matthews – firstname.lastname@example.org.